Ray Rediscovered

Created by OnePlusYou
BUY ticketshttp://www.naatak.com/currentevent.html

From the Director's desk: An ode to the crew

While I get to know my cast better, let me present an ode to my crew. When I embarked on this journey I knew that without a good production crew everything fades away: good scripts, talented actors and intuitive direction. Needless to say I was worried sick about this aspect. Well, fact is, I shouldn't have.

I have been gifted with the best crew there ever can be. They just fell into my lap. I wonder if they are going to make me pay later because it just seemed too easy to have this wonderful, talented, smart people working for my production.

Some of them, I have had the opportunity of working with in Naatak's past productions and some of them I have heard of from before andthe rest it was my first time meeting them. I haven't met them all to write as of now, that will be updated later. But for those whom I do know, I would like to say a couple of lines about each of them personally, to let you know why each one of them will take the Ray production up another notch.

Juhi (Producer): When Sumit, Shubhhra and I started talking about a Ray production, initially nothing was clear - not even the director - except for one thing. We all knew we wanted Juhi to be the producer. The unanimous decision happened because this is one women who will slave it through and deliver. She has been involved in most if not all of Naatak's production in the past four years. It was time she got her dues with the title of Producer. I had have the pleasure of working with her in past Naatak productions. She is ever willing, forever cheerful and does not know how to say "NO". As producer she is learning :)

Shubhra (Publicity Manager): If you have a deadline and you are working for her and you haven't finished it yet, pack your bags, book a flight and leave the city, or move to hell or Erebus. But there is still no guarantee that she wont track you down and ask for an update. This is a powerhouse of energy and talent. Though I am disappointed that she is not acting in my production, she more than makes up for it in other ways. Aggressive in her ways and apologetic by heart.

Gopi (Stage Manager): I have worked with Gopi in my first production with Naatak, Jaanch Partaal. And then I used to run into him at various clubs after a couple of drinks (hic!). While I tried to recollect in that drunken haze, what would come to mind first is "that nice guy". That is the reason I think his gmail alias should be changed from "thatguyinsf" to "thatniceguyinsf". If only I had a younger unmarried sister as my gift to him. Gopi belongs backstage as much as SRK belongs on screen. No director/producer should have the courage to contemplate a production without Gopi in the team. That would be sheer foolishness.

Siva (Sets Manager): I don't know him much but he warmed up my heart through his Arnold Schwarzenegger-ish performance of "Chori-Chori". He continues to do so by posting status messages like "It's Belvedere time". Now which director wouldn't warm up to that? Eh? I liken him to someone who is very intuitive, a good team-player and girls, I hear he is very good with the errr...ummm...black and decker tools :)

Manjusha (Props Manager): When I met this woman, she reeked of smartness. In Tamil we would call this "choddi". Where is that unmarried brother of mine? She hits every production point on the head. Keen, enthusiastic and brilliant in production aspects, she is the up and coming star of Naatak's production team. I understand her as a person who is very objective, not given to frills and fancies and who will get the work done, ahead of time, with high quality.

Lakshmi (Designer): A must before any production goes on stage. She is the person who starts the revenues. Her designs are impeccable, intuitive and apt for every Naatak production. She works with every director, all their quirks and delivers their vision without them having communicated it to her. If she were God, I would ask her to redesign me. A dear friend and also in the cast this time showcasing her acting prowess.

Snigdha (Costumes Designers): Though I don't know her much, she looks great, dresses well and apparently comes up with great costumes. What more do you need in a costume designer? I am pretty sure she had read my scripts twice over before any of the cast did. She reads the scripts, gets the context, works with the director and then executes it. Very methodical. I likes!

More updates on other crew members will appear in part 2.

Cast - you will be suitably rewarded with an ode too. I am not sure if it will as nice but it definitely be much funnier :)

4 comments:

sprakash said...

Thank you, looking forward to making this show a great experience for us all ... I'm glad to be in this team and to be working with you Kamala :)

Juhi said...

Excellently put Kamala - I'm super glad to be in this powerhouse team. Looking forward to making this a fantastic and rocking experience for all.

Crew: Lets get some great work done and make our director super-proud of us! :)

palak said...

yay for the crew!!! its really the 'star' crew...'dream' crew.....big pressure on the cast now!!! ..i am glad we are all pieces of one big cake that you are eating kamala :)

Lakshmi said...

I'm so humbled. Such words from the director, and more so from my friend. But, I'll say that a great production vision begets a great team, so you were asking for it..

Although Palak's description of you eating all of us is a little unsettling and possibly foretelling of the next 2 months. :p

Yay to the Ray team! Cast, Crew et al.

Post a Comment